Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Up a Notch

One of the cooler things I've enjoyed as I've become a better cook is taking something mundane and turning it into something...well, special.

As a young single gal, if I had oatmeal in the morning, the oatmeal came out of a packet. If I had beans and rice (which I did, often), it came out of a box.

Now that I'm more at home in the kitchen, I enjoy everything I make, no matter the amount of effort, whether it be a Thanksgiving turkey, a roasted carrot, or a bowl of oatmeal.

That was breakfast this morning--oatmeal, made in a sauce pot on the stove, sprinkled with brown sugar and topped with sliced banana and dried cranberries. A treat just for myself and a great way to start the day.

(And boy, can I make a mean bowl of beans and rice now.)

2 comments:

The Critic said...

Now, was that steel cut oatmeal or the other kind?

Anonymous said...

The rice and beans ARE a treat.