Monday, January 5, 2009

Favorite reads of 2008

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series
A friend of mine recommended these books when he found out I enjoyed mysteries.  I started reading The Closers in May and proceeded to raid the library the rest of the year to read every story that centered on Detective Harry Bosch.  Set in modern day LA, Bosch is a fantastic cop who runs into villains on the street, in the bureau, and in his own heart.

The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry
by Kathleen Flinn
This was a gift from a friend and an early '08 read.  I loved reading another person's adventures in culinary school, especially since she was in Paris.  Ah, Paris.

Twilight
by Stephenie Meyer
Everyone knows about this series now.  I read the first book over the summer; couldn't put it down.  I really enjoyed the lead character, her smarts, her angst, her clumsiness, her heart.

Loving Frank
by Nancy Horan
I couldn't stop thinking about this book after I'd read it.  It's a fictional biography of sorts of the woman with whom Frank Lloyd Wright had a long-term affair.  Mamah Cheney was a woman ahead of her time and the relationship between her and Wright was scandalous, yes, but also mesmerizing.  Reader beware:  The story does not have a happy ending.

Interpreter of Maladies
by Jhumpa Lahiri
A beautiful collection of short stories by the author of The Namesake.  I'm in awe of this author.

The Life Before Her Eyes and Snow Angels
by Laura Kasischke and by Stewart O'Nan
Heartbreaking and powerful adult fiction.

4 comments:

The Critic said...

I started listening to an audio version of the first Twilight book to see what all the hoopla was about and I couldn't disagree more.

Smart? You think that girl is smart? Let's see, Edward acts all funny around her, dives in front of a out of control car to save her life, the next day when she drops her books he scoops them up for her, he carries her to the school nurse when she nearly faints at the sight of blood, but she still thinks he hates her?

Seriously. She actually determines he's a vampire BEFORE she determines that he likes her? My god that's stupid.

Plus, does Edward laugh in any fashion other than chuckling because I'm less than halfway through listening to this book and I'm really, really, really tired of the word "chuckled."

Most aggravating bad book I've ever listened to. Not bad over the top hilarious bad like the Left Behind books, just bad as in moronic times ten.

My respect for girls has gone way down hill with the success of this series. I knew I should have chosen to be gay when I had the chance...

Kimberly Nichols said...

Do you remember what teenage girls are like? I consider myself to be intelligent but when it came to boys? Dumb as a box of rocks. Anyone who is teenaged can only be so smart anyway. I didn't pick this book because it was great literature.

The Critic said...

I am soooooo not looking forward to my daughter's teenage years. It will be one long battle with Teh Stupid.

(Worse than the battle with teenage boy Teh Stupid? Hmmmm...even the great minds of Socrates, Einstein, Curie, and Shakespeare couldn't decide that cagematch...)

The Critic said...

My thoughts upon Twilight rendered in long format.