Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Herbs











I was so proud of my homegrown herbs this year. Whenever I cooked, all I had to do was walk out the back door to find Italian parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme, sage, basil...

Probably because I know that herb season is at its end, I've gone herb crazy. Fresh, chopped rosemary on my homemade focaccia bread. Chives added to scrambled eggs. Earthy sage in my stuffing experiments. Herb infused butters. Batches of pesto to keep me going throughout the winter. Roasted chickens with sprigs of thyme inside and out. Chopped parsley as a garnish on every dish that heads to the dinner table.

I asked a couple of my wise cohorts about preserving my herbs. Now that I have this bounty, I don't want to squander it.

1 comment:

The Critic said...

We've tried keeping our herbs. A quick dip in boiling water then wrapped up in wax paper in little bundles, plunked in a freezer bag seems to work out pretty well.

And I've got a movie review up of a classic I think you shouldn't miss.