Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Slow Cooker

When I walked into the house tonight, I was greeted by the aroma of my dinner. No, G didn't cook tonight. Beef Stew simmered in the slow cooker all day.

I love my slow cooker. What a brilliant invention. I can be in class or at the library or at the car wash and guess what? I'm making my dinner at the same time.

This morning I seasoned some stew meat and browned it in a skillet. (I deglazed the pan with some port. Pretty much a household rule now.) Then, along with the beef, I added stock, tomato paste, spices and herbs, potatoes, carrots, onions, and peas. I gave it a quick stir and turned the slow cooker to low.

So after a hard day in the kitchen over a hot stove, I don't have to come home and stand in the kitchen over a hot stove.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the slow cooker too:) I used it this week and made chicken. Sam came home from school and thought for sure that we were having chicken nuggets for dinner...I took that as a compliment!

The Critic said...

i know they're supposed to be safe, but the idea of leaving a heat element going all day while i'm not there with a potentially combustible ingredient inside....i just can't feel safe with this....

Kimberly Nichols said...

Omigosh, you're so funny. Such caution! Have you ever heard of a slow cooker accident? Maybe that's what started the CA fires.