Friday, July 13, 2007

Cooking Class #2


Last night's class was mostly lecture again. We started off by talking a little about culinary history. The chef mentioned various influential chefs that we should know...Alain Ducasse, Thomas Keller, Joel Robuchon, Paul Bocuse. Um, excuse me, where are the women???

Non-chef gave us a practice quiz about the specific roles and responsibilities in the kitchen. He asked if anyone in the class spoke French and my little arm went up. Next thing I know, I'm the Go To French Pronounciation Girl. I had to pronounce the following:

saucier (so-see-ay)
garde manger (guard mon-jay)
grillardin (gree-ar-den)
poissonier (pwah-so-nee-ay)
entremetier (awn-tra-may-tee-ay)
patissier (pah-tee-see-ay)
rotisseur (ro-tee-sir)

Yes, I am positively thrilled to use my French. Ooh la la.

Lastly, we focused on knife skills. The chef demonstrated various chops and dices. Non-chef showed us a quick DVD to show us more examples. Then, before we entered the kitchen to peel and chop and dice potatoes, he made sure to tell us to be careful with our knives. In his last class, two students cut themselves badly enough to earn trips to the ER.

Gulp.

No comments: