Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Farmers' Market



Every Wednesday and Saturday during the summer we have a great farmers' market downtown. Because of my school schedule, I've been enjoying going to the market as many Wednesday mornings as possible. That's where I am today.

The market is in a small historic district called Kerrytown. It's my favorite little section of town. The original Zingerman's deli is here, a coffee shop, a wine shop, a crazywonderful paper store...more about that later.

Lots of squash today. Squash is not welcome at my house so I need to keep looking. Look at those beets. We had to cook them six different ways in food chemistry class last semester. When it came time to taste them, I wasn't impressed. So as usual, I'll pass on the beets.

Of course, there's great people watching too. You have your senior couples who just park, walk to their vendor and pick up a bunch of basil and some onions, and then they're off. There are the moms with strollers who walk slowly past every booth, buying cookies for the kids, veggies for dinner, flowers for the table. No hurry. You have your local chefs who stop to see what looks good for today's menus.

Me, I just like to peruse and shop and then head for a big, overstuffed chair at the coffee shop for some online time. A great way to spend a summer morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you checked out the Farmers Market in Depot Town yet? I haven't been this summer but it was always nice before....

G3 said...

That sounds like a good time. Maybe I'll go, too...