Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Intro to Professional Cooking Skills

Last night was my first class in an intense 3 week course at culinary school. My first reaction was...am I in the right class? A handful of people were in normal "civilian" clothes. I was already hugely uncomfortable in my chef jacket, checkered pants, and the ugliest shoes you'll ever see me wear. Sure enough, five minutes before class started, the civilians discovered they were in the wrong room. Off to bread making class they went.

The class is led by a chef and a non-chef. The chef is a cool cat. He has a good sense of humor, is straightforward, and very welcoming. The non-chef is all business. Very knowledgeable and helpful, but not what you'd call fun at a party. They told us what we can expect from the class and then gave us a thorough tour of the kitchens. The class promises to be fun and challenging and intense.

We have to read two chapters and take two online quizzes by Thursday's class. The textbook is over 1000 pages. I'm thinking of hiring someone to carry it around campus for me.

Thursday night we're in the kitchen (hats on) observing and practicing knife cuts. I think I'm going to practice on some potatoes here at home. Fine julienne, julienne, batonnet...small, medium, large dice...

One great bonus is there's almost always another class that shares its bounty. Last night we had delicious slices of just out-of-the-oven pizza.

No comments: