Monday, September 10, 2007

Butchery Class


The chef gave us a brief lecture today at the start of class. Different cuts of beef, USDA/grading information, marbling, etc. Then it was time to get the gloves on.

Some students worked on shrimp, some worked on scallops, some worked on tuna. I cut up three chickens today. Chicken number one: bone-in, skinless thighs, boneless, skinless breasts. I still left some meat on the bones when carving. There's this small piece of meat at the backbone (the chefs call it the oyster). Ideally, when I carve the legs and thighs from the carcass, that small "oyster" meat needs to be carved off as well.

Chicken number two: Frenched wings, breast with skin remaining on the cage, boneless, skinless, thighs. Again, I missed the oyster.

Chicken number three: Aha! I left the oyster intact. I grabbed the chicken's leg and walked over to the chef's desk.

"Chef? What do you think?"

He looked, smiled, and responded, "You're going to make me cry."

2 comments:

The Critic said...

all this meat talk is going to make me cry...

DonAngie said...

sshhh, those of us who know and crave the oysters would rather not tell anyone. The competition for them can be fierce!