Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Rufus Honors Judy


I just read that Rufus Wainwright finished his four-city tour in Los Angeles this week. Backed by a 40-piece orchestra, he recreated Judy Garland's legendary 1961 concerts (at Carnegie Hall, the London Palladium, the Hollywood Bowl). The songlists were the same, the staging. Wainwright even left the stage to kiss audience member Debbie Reynolds just as Garland kissed Rock Hudson once upon a time. Check out the identical concert posters.

I love this! I'm only bummed that I wasn't able to enjoy the fun. I checked Wainwright's website and sure enough...an announcement that a CD and DVD of his Judy Garland tributes is coming out in December. Director Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road to Perdition) leant his hand to the filming of the concert.

No comments: