Sunday, September 23, 2007

Go To

Okay, so I know by now it's obvious that I cook A LOT. Most of the time though, I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. All I do is experiment, so when we're hungry for dinner and I didn't plan our menu or I'm too tired to be creative, I get into trouble. We hardly have any "go to" meals; favorite/easy things to throw together that are tried and true.

I was idea-free tonight, so G said, "Hey, why don't I make some grilled cheese with our French bread and you make that tomato soup you made once." At first, I whined, "But I don't feel like chopping vegetables or waiting for the soup to be ready." But grilled cheese and tomato soup sounded good, so I opened up my recipe and realized that the tomato soup was super easy and only took about 15 minutes. Go G!

G made the grilled cheese (he makes them perfectly; sharp cheddar for him, provolone for me) and I threw together this tomato soup and voila! A delicious little go to supper was born. The soup is easy and much tastier than out of the can. It's a recipe from Giada DeLaurentiis:

Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce (I use Newman's Own sauces)
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta; I use ditalini)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, chicken broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.

No comments: