Friday, September 7, 2007

Butchery


My first rotation fall semester is Butchery. Now I knew that this probably wouldn't be my favorite cooking class. I did have a brief stint of vegetarianism in my twenties after all. Between the intensity of the class (nonstop, on-your-feet for three and a half hours) and the degree of difficulty, I am already longing for my next rotation. I am not what you would call a gifted butchery student. The whole time I tried to trim a rack of lamb I muttered obscenities under my breath. I'm pretty sure that I was the last student to complete the task.

One of my classmates mentioned to me, "I've talked to three second-year students and they all said that butchery was their favorite class."

My response: "Why?"

Everything that we produce in class is used by other classes as well as the restaurant at school. All of the chefs place their "orders" with my chef instructor. Essentially the students are free labor.

In just three classes we:

stuffed and trussed chickens
broke down chickens into boneless breasts and skinless, boneless thighs
chopped turkey into stew meat
skinned redfish fillets
filleted salmon
deveined shrimp
trimmed turkey and brisket of fat
trimmed a lamb rack and cut it into chops

I now have a constant reverence for butchers everywhere.

1 comment:

G3 said...

I hope they actually teach you the things that butchers know... or they should be paying you for the class.