Saturday, September 22, 2007

Food Memories


Do you have food memories? Just recently I was at a grocery store and saw a box of Boo Berry cereal, which I had to buy. It was one of my favorites from childhood. I didn't know they still made Boo Berry (and Franken Berry). Count Chocula proved to be the one with staying power.

My mom gave me a bag of assorted jelly bellies this weekend. Jelly bellies always put a smile on my face. When I was little, my grandpa used to take me to the candy store and I'd get to choose whatever I wanted. Jelly bellies were big back then (I think President Reagan loved them) and I wasn't a big fan of chocolate, so I'd always wander over to the side of store where the clear plastic bins of jelly bellies were, every color and flavor imaginable. Root beer, coconut, buttered popcorn, cantaloupe, bubble gum. My favorites were cotton candy, green apple, lemon-lime, and watermelon (dark green on the outside and pink on the inside.)

There was a good period of time when I had to part from my jelly belly fix. Years of braces on my teeth did not bode well for anything like jelly beans. So it was fun to sit down today with my bag of jelly bellies and figure out the flavors. I did find some green apple ones and they're still my favorite.

No comments: