Monday, August 6, 2007

Books Into Films


My summer reading has been extremely varied this year. I always have a list of books I want to read at my fingertips. I have stacks of books on my desk and my nightstand. They wait patiently as I figure out what mood I'm in this week or next.

This summer I'm trying to read some classics (Northanger Abbey by Austen, Galapagos by Vonnegut), some contemporary fiction (Man and Boy by Tony Parsons, The World to Come by Dara Horn), some fizzy summer books (The Nanny Diaries, The Jane Austen Book Club). My latest reading trend is to check out books that have been or will be made into films. I always like to see how the novel is adapted for the big screen. Yes, most of the time the screen adaptations do not live up to the author's words. When a film truly captures the spirit of the book, the author's tone...well, it's magic.

A few of my favorites have been:

The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon
About a Boy by Nick Hornby
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

1 comment:

The Critic said...

good gravy, you didn't get to the jane austen book club yet did you?

if you haven't, swerve aside, swerve aside.