Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dinosaur Bar-b-que




The Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Syracuse, NY was started by three bikers in 1983. Now the place is nationally acclaimed. G has taken me back to Syracuse, his ancestral homeland, several times, but only this weekend was he able to introduce me to the wonders of the Dinosaur.

First of all, the place draws a crowd. Bikers, yes, but also yuppies, singles, babies in highchairs, you name it.

On the way to our table, I saw someone with a burger on his plate. A burger? What was he thinking? The waitress greeted us and told us that everything on the menu is made there at the restaurant. The potatoes are peeled for the French fries, the desserts are all made from scratch. When the food arrived, there was a lot of it and it did not disappoint. I ordered the Big Ass Pork Plate--pulled pork, with cornbread, mashed potatoes and gravy, and collard greens. G had a full rack of ribs with bbq beans and cole slaw. The food lived up to the hype. The pork was tender, the sauce was spicy, a tiny bit sweet, and, to borrow an old phrase, finger-lickin' good. I bought two bottles of it to take back home with us.

I think I might have to request that dinner each time we're back in Syracuse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No dessert?

Kimberly Nichols said...

No room for dessert! We'll start off with that next time.