Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Finger Lakes











Whenever we visit the Finger Lakes we always stop at the Simply Red Bistro. We found it on our first trip here together in 2004. The bistro was in Trumansburg, a small town northeast of Ithaca, NY. It was a small, funky space with a hip southern menu. G always loved the huge slab of homemade cornbread that came with every entree. A local band was always on hand to play during dinner.

Now the bistro is located inside Sheldrake Winery on the west side of Cayuga Lake. The space is airy and more upscale but the spirit is intact. The bistro now has a lunch menu so G & I tasted some wine and then found a table with a view of the lake. G chose the tuna salad special (sundried tomatoes and curry). I chose the steak sandwich with caramelized onions and gruyere cheese. My oh my. My sandwich was accompanied by a horseradish aioli which was superb. We couldn't resist sharing the apple ginger cake for dessert--a super dark ginger cake with chunks of apple and raisins somewhat swimming in a caramel sauce and topped with whipped cream. I started to get a little jealous at the way G looked at that dessert.

And with my Magic Hat No. 9 (beer for lunch!), I am officially on vacation.

No comments: