Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hot Fuzz

So tonight, G & I were sitting in the purple room (my office), me at my desk, he in the plushy chair. We were watching Law & Order reruns and being lazy.

"What do you want to do tonight?" "I dunno. What do you want to do?"

Just then the phone rang and our friend Mark invited us over for pizza and a movie. The answer is always yes to that.

To my delight, tonight's choice was Hot Fuzz, a British comedy I missed in the theaters earlier this year. The setup is spot on--Nicholas Angel is the best cop in London. His bosses decide to transfer him to a small, sleepy country town because Angel makes them look bad. Of course, life in the small town is not as staid and quiet as expected.

The first twenty minutes or so made me yell out to everyone in the room, "I love this movie! I absolutely love it." The camera work was fun. The soundtrack added to the laughs. Simon Pegg, as Nicholas Angel, was perfectly overwrought. Add a small part for Bill Nighy (my ultra favorite go-to Brit) and my stomach was already beginning to ache from laughter.

Note to self: I need to learn more about the makers of this movie and their previous effort, Shaun of the Dead. They do like the dramatic yet joky death scenes, don't they? I wasn't expecting those in Hot Fuzz.

The last half of the movie is just chase scenes and shoot'em ups and yes, it's still supposed to be funny and alluding to American cop buddy pics, but I found myself thinking up ways to sneak one more slice of pizza from the box.

That said, I would watch it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing I got from this entry is that you had pizza:) You know its my fav. and I know you share my obsession and ability to eat a whole one....but, you left out the most important detail...where was the pizza from? You're a "foodie" I want details!

I guess I'm not that in to movies?

Anonymous said...

Based on your review, I've just got to check out this movie.
I'm puttin it on my list of things to see.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.