Sunday, August 19, 2007

Summer Playlist

The days of summer are dwindling. School supplies are out, pre-season football games are on TV. Here's a look back at my most played songs of summer '07:

Sara Bareilles - Love Song
Catchy, bubbly, perfect for summer cruising with the windows rolled down.

Wilco - I Got You (At the End of the Century)
After playing Wilco's CD Yankee Hotel Foxtrot over and over again, I'm finally discovering their back catalog. This song is off of the CD Being There. Old school rock & roll.

Kim Richey - Something to Say
One of my all time favorites. Richey just released her first CD in five years. This is one of the tracks that really jumped out at me.

Lori McKenna - Unglamorous
McKenna wrote a couple of songs that Faith Hill covered on her last CD, Fireflies which then led to an appearance on Oprah. She's a mother of five from a small town in Massachusetts. A PR dream come true, but also a very talented songwriter.

Duncan Sheik - On a High
We saw him in concert earlier this year. This song is from Daylight, probably my favorite CD of his to date.

Mandy Moore - Ladies' Choice
Really good reviews and collaborations with McKenna and The Weepies persuaded me to buy this CD and guess what? I love it. I keep changing my favorite cut. Right now it's Ladies' Choice.

Keith Urban - I Told You So
Yes, it was his single on country radio this summer, but I can't help it. This song is a hit. I remember seeing Keith Urban in nightclubs in Nashville back in '97 when he was just cutting his first album. Now he's all rehabbed up and married to Nicole Kidman. Couldn't have predicted that one.

kd lang - The Valley
Again, another concert we attended earlier this year--kd lang and Lyle Lovett. The Valley is from a CD from 2004, a compilation of songs from Canadian songwriters. This song is just beautiful. Lush and sad and pure poetry.

Feist - 1234
Quirky and cool.

MIKA - Grace Kelly
Kooky and fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll be busy checking out all of these songs on Itunes in the next few days.
Mika?????
I caught part a performance recently and all I can say is FREAKA~!!! LOL

GM

The Critic said...

yeah, Wilco's YHF is probably the best thing they've ever done as a consistent and brilliant album, but the early stuff is pretty good. i'm rather fond of "the lonely" one from being there, "via chicago" from summerteeth, and "passenger side" off am.

sky blue sky is okay, and a ghost is born never really clicked for me.