Friday, August 17, 2007

Playtime

I felt like playing today so I put on the apron and started to work in the kitchen, iPod blasting.

I borrowed a Ming Tsai cookbook from the library so I made two of his sauces today. I started watching his show on PBS and really like his techniques.

First up was an Asian pesto--jalapeno peppers, garlic, ginger, mint, basil, cilantro and olive oil. I used it for an Asian pesto chicken salad tonight for dinner. Big hit! Chicken, pesto, orzo, cherry tomatoes served over baby spinach dressed with lemon juice and more pesto.

I also made a sambal, the Asian version of ketchup, but super spicy. I went to an Asian market this morning to find the requisite red jalapeno peppers. The sambal consists of red jalapenos, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, rice wine vinegar, and canola oil. It can stay in the fridge for a month.

I've had my eye on a recipe in one of my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks--a goat cheese tart. I had some garlic and herb goat cheese in the fridge so today was the day. Homemade crust, super buttery, layered with shallots sauteed in butter, and filled with a mixture of herbed goat cheese, eggs, cream, basil, and salt and pepper. I tried a small slice tonight at dinner and swooned.

Although that also could've been because G used his mixing magic and made me a Lemon Drop Martini.

No comments: